Monday, March 7, 2011

Any Time Now..... Feel Free To Stop!

This Michigan Winter has been many things but I don't think many would disagree that "long" would be at least one an apt description of it.  I am really tired of Winter and even though we're into the second week of March, it shows very little sign of relenting.

I am so anxious for Winter to end that I am (nearly) willing to believe the report that came back from Punxsutawney Phil (and a majority of his fellow groundhogs) that we would indeed have an early Spring - but we're already fast approaching the 6 weeks since his prognostication and as you can see by the current forecast, Winter isn't really doesn't seem ready to budge yet.

I will count myself fortunate that I didn't find myself stuck in an airport as a result of one of the many Winter storms that came through the Midwest and Northeast.  I just missed one in Texas - the night before I arrived they had snow and ice and there were very few people on the roads that afternoon and evening.  I'm really starting to pay attention to the most direct flight available when I travel for that reason - you can be stuck in Phoenix because your plane didn't make its connection from Connecticut.  Hey, come to think of it, that wouldn't be so bad!

Everyone talks about the weather and lately, it seems like we believe that the "strangeness" we have been dealing with is a sign of the Apocalypse.  I can think of lots of other reasons to lean towards "The End Is Near" thinking but I always remember a picture my Grandfather had of their house in a small town not too far North of here with snow drifted so high, it nearly reached the top of the telephone poles across the road.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't whining about the Apocalypse either - he was out there shoveling as fast as he could so the coal truck could make it up the driveway.

I will be thankful when the the grip of Winter is released and the longer days and the songs of migratory birds indicate it can't be too far away (or there are going to be some mighty unhappy - and cold - birds!) so I'll keep the faith and put on an extra layer of clothes for a couple more weeks.  Come on Punxsutawney Phil, I'm counting on you!




No comments:

Post a Comment